Your personal details
Data Protection Legislation
When we refer to Data Protection Legislation we mean the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679) (“GDPR”).
Personal information is information that can be used to identify or contact a specific individual, such as a name, address, telephone number, email address, etc., and also online identifiers and location data such as IP addresses and mobile device IDs.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
WHY WE COLLECT IT
Information you provide to us when you contact us: this may include your name, address, contact details and any other personal information which you choose to provide to us (or which we otherwise obtain as part of that process (such as an IP address)).
Enquiries: If you contact us to enquire about any aspect of our business, goods or services, we will collect your personal information in order to respond to your query and we may also use your information where there is another legitimate reason for us to do so.
On the basis of our and your legitimate interests. Our interests being that we would like to assist you with any queries you may have and inform you about our goods and services.
We will retain this information for no longer than necessary for the uses set out in this Privacy Notice, or while there is a legitimate interest for us doing so. If during our correspondence with you, you enter a contract with us or consent to direct marketing, please see the relevant section of this table for details as to how we will use your personal information.
Information you provide to us when you enter a contract for our goods or services, for example, subscribing to one of our newspapers, signing up to one of our events: this may include: (a) your name, (b) address, (c) contact details, (d) payment information, (e) the details of the event (if relevant), (f) where and how you signed up for it, and (g) your dietary requirements.
Entering a contract: If you enter a contract with us to provide you with any of our goods or services, we will collect your personal information to enable us to provide those goods or services to you (for example to receive payment for the services or to contact you in relation to the event you are attending) and we may also use your information where there is a legitimate reason for us to do so.
(i) On the basis that this is necessary to fulfil our contractual obligations to you; and
(ii) On the basis of your and our legitimate interests. Our interests being that we would like to assist you with any queries you may have and inform you about our goods and services.
We will retain this information for the duration of our contract with you. Once our contract has ended we will retain your personal information for up to six years in accordance with relevant legal and accounting requirements. Where you have signed up to one of our events, we will retain your contact details for a period of two years thereafter. We do this on the basis of it being in our and your legitimate interests to notify you of events which you may wish to attend, or to inform you about our goods and services.
Information that we collect about you when you sign up to our newsletters or direct marketing services: this may include your name and contact details.
Newsletters / marketing communications: Where you sign up to our newsletters or other direct marketing communications, we will collect your personal information in order to be able to send you these newsletters or communications, or where there is another legitimate reason for contacting you.
We will only collect this information and contact you in this way when you have provided your consent for us to do so. We will thereafter contact you on the basis of your and our legitimate interests. Our interests being that we would like to inform you about our goods and services. You may withdraw your consent to this type of communication at any time by contacting us or clicking on the unsubscribe button where relevant.
We will check whether you wish to continue receiving communications of this nature and provide an opt-out option with newsletters. If you respond to opt out, we will remove you from our mailing list.
Information that we collect about you by way of cookies. This includes your IP address, browser type and operating system.
Cookies: We collect this information in order to improve your experience of using our website and to enable us to assess how our websites are used to ensure our services and advertisements are relevant. For further information in relation to cookies, please see the cookies information tool displayed in the footer of each of our websites which you visit.
Social Media: We publish content on Social Media platforms.
We may place one or more social media platform “tags” on our websites in order to better understand how we may be of best value to you by providing you with the most relevant content available according to what you have chosen to read on our own websites. These tags only record information around activities to help us understand if you are registered or subscribed with us, or visit our websites so that we may use your reading preferences to provide more relevant content and/or offers to you, on social media platforms, e.g. removing subscription offers from your feed if you are a current subscriber.
We do not have direct access to your personal data on your social media platforms.
Please see our cookies information tool for further information.
Please see our cookies information tool for further information.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We contract with third party service providers and suppliers to deliver certain services. We have contractual arrangements in place with each of these providers so that they are obliged to protect your personal information.
The following third parties may have access to your personal information for the purposes noted below:
- Software providers: we use a range of software providers in order to administer our business, these providers include the host of our website, the providers of our call recording system, email system, automated email marketing system and customer databases.
- Service providers: we use a range of service providers in order to effectively operate our business, for example providers of subscription voucher services.
- Event organisers: where we hold events, we may share your personal information with third party organisers of the event including caterers and venues, for example, we may share your name with the venue for the purposes of administering a guest list.
- Competition prize providers: where you enter one of our competitions, we may share your information with the third party who is supplying the prize to ensure they are able to provide you with any prize that you may win.
- Cookies providers: for example, Google Analytics.
- Regulators, government departments, law enforcement authorities, tax authorities, accountants, insurance companies, lawyers and other professional advisers;
- Any relevant dispute resolution body or the courts; and
- persons in connection with any sale, merger, acquisition, disposal, reorganisation or similar change in our business.
EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA
The information we collect from you may be stored inside the UK, the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or outside the EEA.
If you live or work outside of the UK or the EEA, we may need to transfer your personal information outside of the UK or the EEA to correspond with you. Where this applies, we will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your personal information is treated securely and in accordance with this privacy notice.
We also transfer personal information outside the UK or the EEA where our service providers host, process, or store personal information outside the UK or the EEA. Where this is the case we use contractual arrangements and safeguards to protect this personal information, these safeguards include:
- The country to which the personal information will be transferred has been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal information by the European Commission. For further details, see European Commission: Adequacy of the protection of personal data in non-EU countries.
- Where we use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission which give personal information the same protection it has in Europe. For further details, see European Commission: Model contracts for the transfer of personal data to non-EU countries.
- Where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer personal information to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal information shared between the EEA and the US. For further details, see European Commission: EU-US Privacy Shield
Please contact us if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal information out of the EEA.
You have certain rights under the Data Protection Legislation which can be exercised by contacting us at: email@example.com, including:
- the right to access the personal information held about the you by making a subject access request in accordance with the Data Protection Legislation. We may charge a reasonable fee when a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive;
- the right to have your personal information rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- the right to request to have your personal information deleted in certain specific circumstances as set out in the Data Protection Legislation;
- the right to request to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain specific circumstances as set out in the Data Protection Legislation;
- the right to ask us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes or for purposes based on our legitimate interests;
- the right to ask us to not undergo automated decision making; and
- where you have provided consent, to request to withdraw such consent at any time.
Please note that if you choose to exercise your rights to have personal information restricted or deleted, then we may not be able to provide you with our services.
Further details about your rights can be found on the ICO’s website at https://ico.org.uk/.
If you have any questions regarding the Privacy Notice you can contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org